Who knew. But when you're in the 'royal' family--the chief's family---its natural to turn to animal sacrifice, as this is the family responsible for carrying the culture and traditions of their village, which is rooted in animism. The Toussian people in particular are known for their sacrifices, to bless the fields for a good harvest, to bless those who have already passed, and to bless the sick.
As rainy season teases us with its brief winds and rains during a sweltering heat, I have seen many a sacrifice (oftentimes, it is because the sacrifice will HAVE to take place on a specific rock that sits right outside my house). In case you want to do this at home, here's how it goes:
The chicken is always a white chicken, and always alive, and the men who do it always seem to be shirtless. Some water and ash is thrown on the rock. Then, the chicken's neck is cut several times to draw a lot of blood. The head is NOT severed, this is important. Once the neck is cut, the man conducting the sacrifice lets go of the chicken and the chicken proceeds to sporadically jump off the ground multiple times, its wings flapping in its last attempt to escape death. Once it lands for good, its last breaths upon him, man determines whether the chicken's distance from the rock where it was originally cut is large enough, as that is what determines whether the sacrifice will work. The chicken, still barely alive, is then taken and stripped of its feathers which are placed (with the blood) on the rock where the sacrifice was done. The chicken is then eaten and the family gets some much needed protein in their diets. As an overactive animal lover, you can imagine the facial expressions I am unable to hide during these sacrifices...
In other news, I'm working on a similar mural project in Takaledougou that is going very well, though it is very tiring work when there's no shade 6 out of the 8 hours I'm outside painting. The community has been incredible encouraging and supportive, and I've even had some help this time! Expect pictures during my next (hopefully timely) entry.
I never really got a chance to talk about my trip to Senegal. Since it looks like I will be transferring there next year, I'll hold back on what I have to say about Senegal, other than it was glorious. Here are some photos that hopefully exude some of its splendor.
Also, here are some pictures from a mask festival I attended shortly after my trip to Senegal. It is THE mask festival of Burkina, held only 2 years, and features masks and dances from all over West Africa. Props to Leslie for taking some wonderful pictures!
Somehow, deep inside of my soul, I've always known it to be the solution to all of life's problems...Your bananas go rotten? Kitty bites your leg? Radio plays too many commercials? The answer lies in the chicken...
Ever get my package??! (If not, dont worry...Ive got plenty of package where that came from ;) ) I miss you!
I am a recent JMU Alum who is currently embarking on a two-year journey in Burkina Faso for the Peace Corps. The purpose of this blog is to detail the joys, challenges, embarrassments and cultural exchanges I will make a long the way.
The views and opinions on this website are my own, and I am solely responsible for the content on this site. The information does not reflect the views or opinions of the United States or any other country, the Peace Corps, or any other person, party, or organization mentioned or linked to in this website.
Moving on
-
After much thought and reflection, I have decided to move my blog over to
a new platform. I needed something that could grow with me.
All of my memories f...
Third Year Update
-
Hello again. As you may know, I had decided to say adieu to this blog at
the end of last year. My two contracted years of service with Peace Corps
had fini...
Experiencing the Ninth Circle of Hell
-
I’m back!!! I bet you thought I had disappeared off the face of the planet.
That, or else fell into my latrine. I’ve been pretty lazy about updating my
blo...
Portrait of Ilana as an Artist
-
In order to conduct sustainable and interesting health education, I
embarked upon the endeavor of painting 5 large murals on the side of the
village health...
A banna
-
*Banna* is a Jula verb (usually requiring an auxillary verb) that means,
contingent on context, "finished," "completed," "no longer available" or
"dead." ...
Six Weeks Home
-
I've been back in the US for 6 weeks now. It seems absolutely crazy how
fast time is passing and how quickly I'm re-adjusting to life here, what is
becomin...
Hotel In Sevilla
-
Let's take London as an example. Till some time back, it was very hard to
find the hotel in sevilla, the hotel in sevilla in Las Vegas presents its
touri...
-
Hello lovely people,
This past month has been INSANITY mostly due to that dreaded Closing of
Service Conference. What the conference basically entails of i...
1 comment:
"When in doubt, Sacrifice a Chicken!"
Somehow, deep inside of my soul, I've always known it to be the solution to all of life's problems...Your bananas go rotten? Kitty bites your leg? Radio plays too many commercials? The answer lies in the chicken...
Ever get my package??! (If not, dont worry...Ive got plenty of package where that came from ;) ) I miss you!
Post a Comment